Japan Travels | Day 5 - Anime & Butler Cafe

19:58

Thursday 5th May


Today was a big day. We had our booking for the Butler Cafe known as Swallowtail which was so exciting and I had no clue what to expect. From the mountains of Butler Cafe's in Tokyo, I chose this one as it had really good reviews for the food and experience. Some other places had poor food ratings and their experience wasn't to par. Also I had read some articles that were quite troubling in the way owners and management would treat their staff and with poor pay scales. 

That being said, Swallowtail is the opposite of that which is why I chose to book with them. But more on that experience later. 

We started out on our day with the usual breakfast at the hotel, then we decided to go to Akihabara for some cool anime and manga stuff. Before I booked for Swallowtail, I was unaware that shops usually open around 10-11am, well most of them. So I wish that we had more time to spend here but soon we had to be on our way to Ikebukuro so we could leisurely walk to the Butler Cafe. 

Akihabara
Whilst looking in Anime stores, I had a couple main things I was looking for. 1: Was a big Himouto! Umaru-Chan life size plush/pillow/anything Umaru-Chan. and 2: Anything FairyTail.

Unfortunately with my limited time in Akihabara, I didn't get to fully look around for those 2 things. But one thing I was looking forward to was Lunch at the Swallowtail and afterwards the Pokemon Mega Centre and more Anime in Ikebukuro. They even have their own Otome Map for girls that are looking for character goods and other manga/otaku related goods which was awesome. 

But first....Swallowtail.

Now, I wish I could but unfortunately you're not allowed to take ANY photos inside of the butler cafe which I can understand. They want to preserve the full experience for those visiting and for the privacy of other diners. When we got to the place there is a fancy sign which was the first photo of the post. Which then to the left lead down some stairs which the walls are all lined with vines and leaves. 

At the bottom of the staircase, a butler was waiting with the guestlist and in full butler attire, coat tails and all. We were then offered some chairs to sit as we wait for the door to open and invite us in. The decor from just this front waiting room was on point. Chandelier, nice wallpaper, fancy chairs etc. 

I was a bit nervous to say the least, as with the language barrier it might be a little difficult.

Then, the door opened and a couple of ladies left. Behind them was a kind, gentlemanly older butler of whom invited us in. Another butler was waiting and they both introduced themselves and took our coats and shopping bags to place into lockers and carried our handbags to our table.

At this point I'd like to mention if you do go to Swallowtails. Be prepared that only a couple butlers speak some english, Also you're not allowed to use your phone in the cafe/restaurant to again stop temptation to take photos. 

Back to the story. They carried our handbags and placed them into a basket next to our table and each butler pulled out a seat for each of us and seated us down. The first impression of the room was that it was very impressive. Again, chandeliers, draped sheer curtains which divided the 1 guest tables, nice wallpaper, exquisite table/chairs and all of the butlers in coattails. There were probably around 15 butlers working milling around making sure all the guests are cared for. Picture 15 Sebastians from Black Butler all with awesome anime hair. 

Yes Please...
Once we were seated, a butler came over with English menus and explained to us how Swallowtail works and what the menus entailed. My mum chose the Victoria Afternoon Tea Set which included a choice of scone with 2 preserves/spreads; 3 finger sandwiches; a pot of tea and a choice of either the Arcana Dessert or Garden Oath, which were the premium desserts. I will go into detail later what each of the desserts were.

I, however, was a bit more hungry so I went with one of their lunch options. I had a struggle between a pasta set or something else and seeing as the pasta set didn't have a choice of the premium desserts, only the normal choices like a pastry etc, I went with Cordelia set. This included slow cooked beef cheek stew, french bread roll, side salad, pot of tea and again choice of Arcana or Garden Oath.

Whilst we were waiting for our food we took in the atmosphere. It was definitely a fancy place, it felt like we needed Victorian period dresses to fit the decor. It didn't take me long to realize everyone in the room that were diners, were ladies. And I could definitely see why. What woman, if they're into this kind of thing, wouldn't want to be served by handsome Japanese men and treated like they were royalty. Which is exactly how we felt. A little uncomfortable though as we weren't used to being so spoilt. On the table before us, there was a little bell sitting in the middle. Observing from other tables, if the guests wanted more tea poured into their cup or anything at all, even if it's needing out your bag from the basket at the foot of the table, you rang the bell.

Soon our tea arrived followed shortly by our food. And it looked and smelled delicious. My beef stew was heavenly and rich, full of flavour. And Mum's came in the tiered high tea rack. Mum felt a bit strange when she proceeded to take the top plate off but the Butler refused and politely told her that it's ok, I will do that. 

Again, I really wish we could take photos as the presentation was amazing and so well done. It was also fun to see so many Butler's in Coat tails walking around and making sure they didn't miss a bell ring and ensuring everyone was looked after. Ringing a bell to call on someone to pour tea was a strange experience as you feel a bit bad/like you're useless as someone comes to pour your tea. One thing that I did forget to mention is that they all bow when they reach your table and when they leave which to me would get tiring real quick. But all the Butlers seemed happy and enjoyed working there which was nice. 

After our mains, it was dessert time. I ended up getting the Arcana and Mum got Garden Oath. And I was not expecting what appeared at all. It was so refined and well plated it seemed like we were on an episode of masterchef. Mum's dessert consisted of: Melon mousse with seasonal melon, a caramel pastry with flower fragrant cream, granita jelly with Catherine Rose of Orange along with a meringue, also there were cute fruits decorating the plate. 

Now with mine, it was a Rose Panna Cotta, honey jelly and aloe; a lychee mousse and sorbet and something that I would say was pretty similar to a creme brulee. And again I had fruits decorating my plate. The whole dessert was so lovely, light and refreshing I still think about it and how I doubt I would ever have a dessert like that again. 

Soon our time would be up and the bill came around. In total it came to around 7200yen which was totally worth it for 2 full meals, the experience and atmosphere. 

If anyone is looking at going to a Butler Cafe, I definitely recommend Swallowtail because it was just unreal. You can check out there website and book a table here.

After leaving the cafe/alternate universe, we went to the near by Sunshine City (I think it was called) which is a shopping centre, and I made a bee-line for the Pokemon Mega Centre. I got a few things, of which are again, going to be in the Japan Haul post. And seeing as I didn't find my Umaru yet. I decided I might have the best shot at the Flagship Animate store in Ikebukuro, which is 9 floors. 

A short walk later, and dodging people in cosplay, which was awesome to see. Just hundreds of people dressed up in their favourite anime/manga character outfit/costume was so nice. We reached the glory that is Animate. I had a good look around to no avail. Which was a bit sad. But I was still determined. Upon reaching the ground floor there was a little desk and I decided to ask the girl if she could help me. Firstly, I asked in Japanese if she spoke any English, she didn't really speak much but tried her best. I wrote down Himouto! Umaru-Chan and showed her the photo of the plush. She was so kind to me and went and searched the product code number, the name of the plush and wrote it all down for me in Japanese so I could show people what I was looking for. Which was so nice! And remember that Otome map I told you about a bit earlier? She gave one to me and highlighted all the stores she thought I should try. I don't know about you but I would not have ever got that much help from a staff member in a store in Australia. They would have just been like "Nope, we don't have it" And sent me on my way like a lost lamb. 

Anyway, after she gave me all the info I thanked her profusely and set out. I decided to try the few stores across the street from Animate. First shop was a bust, they didn't really have much stuff from shows I watch, so I moved onto the next. Nope, it wasn't in that one either. So I decided to give up...I was walking towards Mum when I saw another store and decided to give it another shot. So downstairs I went...I looked everywhere...Then, like a beacon of hope, a ray of sunshine, there it was! Right next to the cash registers....
The apple of my eye

I was so happy, I had to keep myself from squealing. I grabbed it without seeming like I was too keen which was a feat, and bought it so fast my head was spinning. 

Carrying my spoils out of the store, in a massive shopping bag, mum and I made our way back to the Train Station and decided to take the train to Harajuku, look around there again and then make our way back to the hotel from there. 

After looking in Takeshita Street again for anything we missed, we started to make our way back to the hotel. On the way back we stopped to grab some Long Chips...yup exactly how it sounds. I got them with Hot Spicy sauce which was delicious and walked back to the hotel merrily eating our snack.

After resting for a bit in the hotel mum wasn't too keen to go out again as she had bought some bread snacks and pastries at Ikebukuro Station, and decided to eat those as her dinner. I however, was craving some of that amazing Ramen, so venturing out again, I went to Ichiban alone and got myself a delicious bowl of ramen. Afterwards, I just went back to the hotel, content with my purchases of the day and needing a nice hot soothing shower to dull my aches and pains from walking so much.

Until the next post!
xx T


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram