Japan Travels | Days 4 - Harajuku!

18:52

Wednesday 4th May
Card Captor dress from Living Dead Clothing, lace top from a market stall and Gudetama bag from Sanrio. Also shoes from VANS.

Today was Harajuku day! It was the day I've been waiting for. Some might say, for my entire life...but lets not be that dramatic. One thing I had to get used to in Japan was that, places don't open until late. Most shops don't open until 11am, however they close pretty late at night so you can keep shopping until 9pm if that's what your heart desires. Because when we set out from our Hotel which was so close to Harajuku, like literally down the street, we had some time to kill so we thought we would take a venture into Zara. Well mostly Mum wanted to go into Zara. She got some cool shoes and I got to take a selfie of my Outfit. Because today was pretty much the only day I decided to dress cute. However I soon realized my mistake as it was windy and a wind receptive dress wasn't the best choice. 

Anyway, first on our list, well my list at least, was KIDDYLAND! This magical place full of character good from Studio Ghibli, Sailor Moon, Star Wars, Snoopy, Rilakuma, GUDETAMA...And much more, was a highlight for me as I went crazy, you will see in my Japan Haul blog post..(link will be here when I write it). 

I held back a little so on my final day I could grab some things that I wasn't 100% positive I wanted. I don't really want to share many photos on here because it is such a great place to just go and experience yourself, all 6 or so floors of it. I had to restrain from getting a lot of Studio Ghibli stuff as well as it is quite expensive if you're looking at plushies. 

Again today was a lot of looking in shops so a majority of the time it was sifting through places we wanted to go into or purchase things in etc. However, a historical place we visited which was a great experience was Meiji Shrine. With it's luscious walk and park it was a beautiful time in Spring to go with all its greenie goodness. Very Tranquil.
my Mum isn't a very good photographer but she tried...

Hopefully you can zoom on the picture to read the significance Sake barrels have had to shrines and to Japan.

We finally reached the start of the shrine after walking through a few of the massive gates and got to the hand washing basin. Which consisted of several ladles and a basin in the middle full of water. You don't have to do this before going in, but it was a great experience to do as the locals would and used the Purification Fountain. You're supposed to take the ladle in your right hand, scoop some water and rinse the left hand. Then hold the ladle in your left, scoop water and rinse the right. Then you're supposed to scoop some water into your hand and rinse your mouth, spitting the water in the trough around the fountain, then wash the ladle handle by scooping water and tipping the ladle back until water cascades down the handle. 

I skipped the rinsing of the mouth part, as most tourists do but it's up to you to do it. Just don't take the water into your mouth directly from the ladle...that's a no no.

After that, we entered into the grounds of the temple and it was amazing. Architecture, the vibe and a wedding procession happening. It was so fascinating to see a traditional Japanese wedding. Very formal and different. Such a lucky sight. 

Under the big red umbrella, you can see the wedding procession in full swing. I actually didn't realize I took a photo with them in it until I was looking back at photos.

One thing I also did was purchased a little plaque which was 500Y to write my wish onto and add it to the hundreds of others that hang on a sort of wooden wish rack. Unfortunately I don't know the correct term for it. But you can see from photos.

My little wish among a sea of thousands!
The Japanese religion of Shinto-Buddhism is a very interesting one, if I were religious, this would be one I'd consider with it's peace, tranquility and mindfulness.

After we had made the rounds and looked at all we could, we took our walk back to the city of Tokyo, you definitely don't feel like you're still in the City when you go to Meiji Shrine. But soon we were dodging people left and right in Takeshita Street. And it was crazy busy...of course I end up booking a trip during Japan's biggest holiday week. 



Getting from one side of the lane way to the other was a challenge, given there was a constant stream of people you had to try and shove past. But it was such a great experience. Seeing all the unique stores that Australia could only every dream of having was awesome. Gothic Lolita style clothing, foods and sweets that smelt amazing and just the general vibe of the place. 

I loved every bit of it that after some lunch, a trip to H&M which ended up being a bit of a headache because 1. I bought a cardigan which was 500Y, the sale tag had been ripped off so the usual tag was on, so they charged me full price. 2. I had to get back into line to get my refund which was long. 3. When I got back to the hotel after we had gone shopping I tried on the other item I bought, and the seam had completely come undone on one side so a big hole was on the side. So I had to go back the H&M again and stand in line to get it replaced. All the staff though were super nice and very apologetic, even though it wasn't their fault. 

Ok off the H&M rant train, before we ended up back at the hotel, we decided to give a Japanese Crepe a try. We have had them in Cairns as there is a Japanese Crepe place here with a select delicious choices. But nothing as extensive as Japan. Also seeing as we were in Harajuku, there are a bunch of people that recommend Marion's Crepes. 


I choose one that could closely resemble the one I usually get at home to compare, so I got the strawberry crepe with strawberry ice cream and for some reason they throw a small slice of cheesecake in. I'm not one to deny myself cheesecake so I gave it a go.

Now, I do wish I tried another crepe place to compare but unfortunately not this time. My first impression upon biting into it was that, the crepe itself isn't as tasty and soft as the one back home. Which I was disappointed with, plus the filling wasn't the best. I definitely would prefer the one from Cairns more. The Marion's Crepe really didn't live up to the hype as it has so many elements that didn't really compliment of enhance the taste/texture or flavour. So in July when I go back I will definitely try a different Crepe place (There are so many on Takeshita Street) and see if Marion's Crepes were just low par and over hyped. 

At around 3-4pm, we were back at the hotel just relaxing and resting a bit. And I decided to go back out to Harajuku and explore some places I couldn't before with Mum. Also I had to go back to H&M to get that darn dress T-shirt thing replaced. So again, I bid Mum farewell as I set out to have a lot around. The crowd had died down a bit which was nice so the only down side is that I became more of a target for sales guys that try to get you into their stores. One guy, not a Japanese Man, but I'd say he was African American to take a stab in the dark, was a persistent dude with asking me out and trying to talk to me. He definitely wasn't as charming or polite as the other dude from the night before so I pretty much ignored him. I speake da no englese.

At this point I was feeling so hungry so I went back to the hotel to fetch mum and try our hand at Ramen. More specifically Ichiran in Shibuya. After some convincing that we need to go out for dinner, we left the hotel around 6:30pm and was in line at Ichiran. When we went there was a bit of a wait. I'd say we waited for about 30mins or more to get into the door. But from there ordering food from the machine was easy. I had never done it before so I was pretty anxious to see how it all worked. The cool thing with this place is that lone diners don't feel so left out/awkward about eating alone if they are those types of people. Once we were at the front of the queue, we filled out forms on how we'd like our ramen, like how spicy, how flavourful, how much green onion etc. 

When it was our turn to get seats, we were lead down a corridor of seated diners to our little cubby. If you'd like to talk to your company you can move the dividers but in essence you could dine along comfortably without worrying. Once we were ready, you press the order button on your table and have your order form and paid food ticket ready. The chefs have a little section where they grab your order and place food in front of you. Which was cool.
the red rectangle has the button you press when ready to order.

 Finally food arrived and I think this is the only other food photo I took, because I'm hopeless. lol.

 It was the BEST RAMEN I'VE EVER HAD!

So delicious, I can't even explain. Plus I am so hungry just thinking about it. 

I can't wait to go back and go to other Ramen places. I'd say I'd be all Ramen'd out but I doubt it. 
Anyway, so after Dinner we made out way back to the hotel where we got some much needed rest and recouperation. Our feet were so sore from walking everywhere. Tomorrow is a big day too as it's the Butler Cafe time! 

Until the next post. xx T

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram